Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships Program 2023/2024 application is on, rush now and apply! Every year, students from developing countries hope to study at the universities of Canada, the US, the UK, France, and Portugal.
The Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships are designed for the meritorious students of these developing countries. The scholarship provides them an opportunity to fulfill their dreams.
However, before applying for the Aga Kha scholarships, it’s wise you know the eligibility criteria, application requirements, scholarship worths, benefits, how to apply, etc. Therefore, go read through to get everything you need before applying.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships | Brief Description
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) is a scholarship program that provides financial assistance to exceptional students from developing countries who wish to pursue postgraduate studies. The program is based on a merit-based selection process, focusing on academic excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to improving the lives of people in their communities.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses, and travel expenses, and is awarded for up to two years of study. The program supports a wide range of disciplines, including social sciences, humanities, engineering, and health sciences.
In addition to financial support, the program offers a range of opportunities for scholars to engage in academic and professional development activities, including workshops, seminars, and internships.
The AKF-IS program aims to develop a cadre of leaders who can contribute to the development of their countries and communities. Since its inception in 1971, the program has supported over 3,600 scholars from more than 30 countries.
Host Institution – Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships Program
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) does not have a specific host institution. Instead, the program supports exceptional students from developing countries to study at top universities around the world, based on the individual academic interests and strengths of the selected scholars.
The AKF-IS program works closely with partner universities to identify and select suitable candidates for the scholarship, and to provide support and guidance to the scholars throughout their studies. Some of the universities that have partnered with the program in the past include the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, Harvard University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), among others.
You May Also Like: U.S. Fulbright Student Program Application For International Student
Therefore, scholars who are awarded the AKF-IS scholarship have the opportunity to pursue their postgraduate studies at a variety of top-ranked universities across the globe.
Field of Study – Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) supports postgraduate studies in a wide range of disciplines, including:
- Health Sciences (including Nursing, Medicine, Dentistry, and Public Health)
- Historical Preservation and Conservation
- Humanities (including Philosophy, Comparative Literature, and Cultural Studies)
- Natural Sciences (including Biology, Chemistry, and Physics)
- Social Sciences (including Anthropology, Economics, International Relations, Political Science, and Sociology)
The program encourages students to pursue studies in fields that are relevant to the development needs of their home countries, and that has the potential to contribute to the social, economic, and cultural advancement of their communities.
Target Group – Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships Program
The target group for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) is exceptional students from developing countries who have the potential to become leaders in their fields and contribute to the development of their home countries.
Nationals of the following countries are eligible to apply:
- Kyrgyz Republic,
- Uganda and
- the USA*.
*Note: In Canada, France, Portugal, and the United States, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the aforementioned developing countries, are interested in development-related studies, and have no other means of financing their education.
Scholarship value/Inclusions/The Scholarship Duration
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) offers a comprehensive scholarship package that covers the following expenses:
- Tuition and other academic fees
- Living expenses, including accommodation and food
- Travel expenses to and from the student’s home country at the beginning and end of their studies, as well as one trip back home each year during the course of the scholarship
The scholarship is awarded for up to two years of postgraduate study and is renewable annually based on academic performance and continued financial need. In some cases, scholarships may be extended for an additional year if the program of study requires more than two years to complete.
In addition to financial support, the AKF-IS program also provides scholars with a range of opportunities for academic and professional development, such as:
- Access to mentorship and networking opportunities with other scholars, alumni, and professionals in their field of study
- Workshops, seminars, and training sessions on topics related to leadership, research skills, and academic writing
- Internship and employment opportunities with partner organizations and institutions
- Access to research and conference funding to support the scholar’s academic and professional development
Aga Khan Foundation Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS), candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of one of the countries where the AKF has a presence, or where there are significant populations of Ismaili Muslims. These countries include Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar, Mozambique, and a number of other African and Asian countries.
- Have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution and demonstrate outstanding academic achievement.
- Have a strong commitment to their communities and to improving the quality of life in their home countries.
- Demonstrate leadership potential and a desire to contribute to the development of their countries and regions.
- Meet the admission requirements of the partner universities where they intend to study.
Additionally, the AKF-IS program encourages applications from candidates who:
- Are in financial need and do not have the means to pursue postgraduate studies without financial assistance.
- Women, members of marginalized communities, or individuals who have faced other barriers to accessing higher education.
- Are pursuing studies in fields that are relevant to the development needs of their home countries, and that has the potential to contribute to the social, economic, and cultural advancement of their communities.
The selection process is merit-based, and candidates are evaluated based on academic excellence, leadership potential, and their commitment to making a positive difference in the world. Applicants must complete an online application form and provide supporting documents, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining their academic and career goals.
How to Apply for Aga Kha Foundation Scholarships
To apply for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS), candidates must follow these steps:
- Check the AKF-IS website to determine whether you are eligible to apply for the scholarship, based on your country of citizenship and field of study.
- Research the partner universities where you would like to pursue your postgraduate studies and ensure that you meet their admission requirements. The AKF-IS website provides a list of partner universities in Asia, Africa, Europe, and North America.
- Complete the online application form, which can be found on the AKF-IS website. The application form requires candidates to provide personal and academic information, as well as a personal statement outlining their academic and career goals, and their motivation for pursuing postgraduate studies.
- Provide supporting documents, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and proof of citizenship. All documents must be submitted in English, or accompanied by a certified translation.
- Submit your completed application by the deadline specified on the AKF-IS website. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in an interview, either in person or via video conferencing.
- Successful candidates will be notified of their selection and will be provided with further information about the scholarship, including the partner university where they will study and the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
It is important to visit the official website below for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Aga Kha Foundation Official Website
Application Deadline: Aga Khan Foundation Program
The application deadline for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS) varies depending on the country and region of the applicant. Typically, the application deadline falls between January and March of each year.
However, it is important to note that the application deadline for some partner universities may be earlier than the AKF-IS deadline. Therefore, candidates should check with the university to ensure that they submit their applications on time.
Candidates can check the AKF-IS website or contact the AKF-IS office in their region for information on the specific application deadline for their country or region.
Frequently Asked Questions About Aga Kha Foundation International Scholarships Program
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program (AKF-IS):
Who is eligible to apply for the AKF-IS?
Candidates who are citizens of one of the countries where the AKF has a presence, or where there are significant populations of Ismaili Muslims, and who have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with outstanding academic achievement are eligible to apply.
What is the selection process for the AKF-IS?
The selection process is merit-based, and candidates are evaluated based on academic excellence, leadership potential, and their commitment to making a positive difference in the world. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in an interview, either in person or via video conferencing.
What does the AKF-IS scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers tuition and other academic fees, living expenses, and travel expenses for the duration of the program, subject to the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
Can I apply for the AKF-IS if I have already been admitted to a partner university?
No, candidates must apply for the scholarship before they are admitted to a partner university. However, applicants should research the admission requirements of their desired university and ensure that they meet the criteria before applying for the scholarship.
Can I apply for the AKF-IS if I am pursuing a degree in a field not listed on the AKF-IS website?
The AKF-IS program supports studies in a wide range of fields that are relevant to the development needs of their home countries. If your field of study is not listed on the website, you can still apply and provide a rationale for how your studies will contribute to the social, economic, and cultural advancement of your community.
How can I apply for the AKF-IS?
Candidates can apply for the AKF-IS by completing an online application form on the AKF-IS website and submitting supporting documents.