German Chancellor Fellowships In Germany: Are you a graduate with some leadership experience? Are you from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, South Africa, or the United States of America? Would you like to carry out a self-selected project that advances your career, is societally relevant, and has a long-term public impact?
Do you want to be an active member of an international network of committed leaders? Then, come to Germany with an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation German Chancellor Fellowship and take your career to the next level.
German Chancellor Fellowships In Germany Brief Description
The fellowship program is supported by the Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. Currently, up to 50 German Chancellor Fellowships are available.
The German Chancellor Fellowship Program of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is aimed at university graduates with an international perspective and initial leadership experience from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa, and the United States.
It is aimed at potential decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders from a wide range of professional fields, including politics, public administration, and business, as well as society and culture.
This fellowship program is designed to provide beneficiaries with the opportunity to spend a year in Germany exploring new solutions to today’s global issues and expanding their networks. With this program, Germany reaffirms itself as a preferred destination for intercultural dialogue and a meeting place for tomorrow’s international leaders.
During their stay in Germany, the German Chancellor Fellows work on self-developed, research-based projects that are societally relevant and have the potential for long-term, publicly visible impact. They are supervised by hosts in Germany whom they choose and who have the necessary level of expertise to mentor the respective topics.
Their projects allow the fellows to advance their careers by broadening their specialist knowledge, gaining new international experience, and strengthening their intercultural skills in Germany in order to become successful international leaders.
- Germany Universities
- German Chancellor Scholarships 2023 – Fellowships in Germany are available to pursue Fellowship level programs at universities in Germany.
The following subjects are available to study under this scholarship program.
- All subjects
Benefits of German Chancellor Fellowships Scholarship
This fellowship for aspiring leaders sends you to Germany for a year to carry out a project idea that you created yourself. We will assist you in networking with international future leaders in order to find new solutions to global issues of our time.
The fellowship provides the following benefits:
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros, or 2,600 euros – this depends on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship
- funding for German courses during your fellowship,
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for mobility, accompanying family members, travel expenses, full private health insurance, or additional German language courses
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organize smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Additionally, your host will have a monthly subsidy of €500 at their disposal for any costs arising while conducting the project.
German Chancellor Fellowships Eligibility Criteria:
Regardless of industry, the German Chancellor Fellowship supports future decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders. We invite you to apply if you meet the following criteria: If you
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, South African, Indian, or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, administration, business, media, society, or culture, and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor’s or comparable degree), not more than 12 years ago. Note, the key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October 2023.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- and have good knowledge of English and/or German
How to apply For German Chancellor Fellowships
Before applying, you should consult the details of your project with your chosen host.
Submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have, and what your career goals are
- project plan: Outline the project(s) you have developed and agreed upon with your intended host before applying. Why is your project important to society, and how will you be able to bridge the gap between Germany and your home country in the future?
- an extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal, and/or academic background
The online application form includes links to upload letters of recommendation and statements. Please forward these links to the appropriate people as soon as possible. As soon as we receive all of the required documents, we will send you a confirmation email.
If you have any doubts or questions, please visit (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application. We are happy to help. Click here to apply now for fellowships in Germany
German Chancellor Fellowships Application Deadline
- Applications run from March 1st to October 15th of each year.
We accept applications from March 1st to October 15th of each year. Outside of this time frame, you may register for the next round of applications; you will then be notified by e-mail when the next round of applications begins.
The most promising candidates will be chosen from among all formally eligible applicants and invited to a selection meeting in their respective country of origin, where they will be able to present themselves and their projects.
All the best for your application!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about German Chancellor Fellowships In Germany:
How do I apply?
You must submit your application online. To submit an application, you must first register. To register, click here. You will receive an email with a link that will allow you to log in and access the application form using your username and password after registering.
I am having difficulties with the online application. What can I do?
If you experience any problems with the online application, please send an email to info[at]avh.de.
Can I apply after the official application deadline?
Unfortunately, after the application deadline, it is no longer possible to submit an application online. More so, applications via email, postal mail, or fax are not permitted in this program.
How often can I submit an application online?
You can only submit your application once. However, you can save your application and return to it as many times as you like before submitting it.
Can I apply before completing my Bachelor’s (or comparable) degree?
You may apply if you complete your Bachelor’s degree program before October 1 of the year following your application. If you enroll in an intensive German language course prior to the start of the fellowship, you must complete your Bachelor’s Degree before the intensive language course begins.
Which completion date is valid if I hold multiple university degrees?
The valid date in the case of multiple degrees is the completion date of the first Bachelor’s (or comparable) degree.
Was that post on German Chancellor Fellowships for international students helpful?
Let us discuss this in the comment box below if you have questions or comments.