Rhodes Scholarships are the oldest international scholarships (first awarded in 1902) that enable outstanding young people from around the world to study at Oxford University.
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate fellowships for outstanding all-round students at the University of Oxford. The Rhodes Scholarship, established in Cecil Rhodes’ will in 1902, is the world’s oldest and possibly most prestigious international scholarship program.
- Scholarship Sponsor: Rhodes Scholarship Fund
- Level: Masters/Ph.D. Degree
- Host Institution: Oxford University UK
- Application Deadline: varies, July-Oct (annual)
- Study in: UK
- The course starts: in October annually
Oxford University UK
Fields/Level of study
The level and field of study are subject to limited restrictions. However, Rhodes Scholars may study for any full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford.
Number of Scholarships
Each year, 95 Scholars are selected.
Also Read: Top Scholarships In Europe For International Students
Rhodes Scholarship Application Target Group
The Rhodes scholarships target students from the countries listed below:
Australia, Bermuda, China, Canada, Commonwealth Caribbean (Anguilla, Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Montserrat, St Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent, Trindad and Tobago, and, the Turks and Caicos Islands), East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi), Germany, Hong Kong SAR, India, Israel, Jamaica, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and eSwatini), Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, United Arab Emirates, United States (50 states of the US, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
However, students who are not under existing Rhodes constituencies can apply for Global Rhodes Scholarships.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers all University and College fees, a living stipend (£17,310 per year 2021-22), a settling-in allowance, health insurance, a visa, and two economy class flights to and from the UK at the start and end of studies in Oxford.
The scholarship has a basic tenure of two years, subject to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct at all times.
All Rhodes Scholarship applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
1. Citizenship and residency requirements: Each applicant must meet the Rhodes constituency’s citizenship and residency requirements.
2. Age: You must be at least 18 years old and not have reached the age of 25 on October 1, 2022. (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1997 and on or before 1 October 2004)
OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
You must be under the age of 27 on 1 October 2022 (born after 1 October 1995) AND have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first degree on or after 1 July 2021*.
3. Education: All applicants must have advanced academic standing sufficient to ensure completion of a bachelor’s degree by the following October. Academic standing must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to the University of Oxford, which has extremely competitive entry requirements and to provide assurance that Rhodes Scholars will perform academically to a high standard in Oxford. Individual constituencies may designate a first or equivalent. Some constituencies require a bachelor’s degree earned within the constituency of application.
Please see this link for country-specific eligibility requirements.
Also Read: List Of Top Cheap Schools In Canada-Designated Learning Institution
How To Apply For Oxford University Rhodes Scholarship Application
Application Procedures: All Scholarship candidates should read the information about the Scholarships on the country-specific page to learn about the application criteria, eligibility requirements, and deadlines for their country. The deadline varies by country, but it is typically between July and October of 2022.
For more information on how to apply for this scholarship, please read the how to apply page and visit the official website (link provided below).
Oxford University Rhodes Scholarships Website
Click here to visit the official Rhodes scholarship website.