To study in Quebec as an international student? Here are the Quebec student visa requirements. Quebec is home to fantastic universities, dozens of colleges (CÉGEP), and hundreds of other excellent educational institutions. However, studying in Quebec allows you to study in English, French, or both languages while earning an internationally recognized education.
Why you should Study in Quebec
There are numerous benefits to studying in Quebec.
- Quebec is a lively Canadian province with a European flair.
- It is also home to Montreal, which is regarded as one of the best student cities in the world.
- Quebec provides prestigious university programs, a plethora of cutting-edge research centers, and access to the Canadian job market.
- The low cost of living is another advantage of studying in Quebec.
- More so, Quebec has some of the lowest tuition and living costs in North America.
Furthermore, Quebec, Canada’s only French province, has a distinct cultural identity that provides international students with an unforgettable experience. However, Quebec student visa requirements differ slightly from those of the rest of Canada.
How To study in Quebec as an international student?
To study in Quebec, you must first obtain:
- A letter of acceptance from the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) where you intend to study.
- You must also have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) or certificate of acceptance issued by the province of Quebec.
Quebec Student Visa Requirements
To be eligible to study in Quebec (Montreal), you must have the following:
1- Certificate of Acceptance in Quebec (CAQ): This must be issued by the Government of Québec
2- A study permit obtained from the Government of Canada
Eligibility Requirements To Study in Quebec-Quebec Student Visa Requirements
Because Quebec has more freedom in establishing immigration policies and procedures, the process of studying in Quebec as an international student differs slightly from that of other provinces.
International students who wish to study in Quebec must first apply to the province for acceptance before submitting an application to the federal government for a Quebec study permit.
Below are the student visa requirements for studying in Quebec.
1. Admission To a Quebec School
The first step, as with the rest of Canada, is to be accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in the province.
In general, you must meet certain educational and language requirements to be accepted into a Quebec school. However, the specific requirements vary depending on the program to which you are applying.
Important Note: Not all DLI programs qualify you to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) or permanent residence. If you plan to stay in Canada after graduation, make sure the program you’ve been accepted into meets the requirements.
2. Certificate of Acceptance in Quebec (CAQ)
A certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) is a document that certifies that Quebec has accepted you as an international student.
Therefore, if your program of study is in Quebec, you must first obtain a CAQ before applying for a study permit.
The Quebec Ministry of Immigration, Francisation et Intégration (Ministry of Immigration, Frenchisation, and Integration – MIFI) issues a CAQ document.
NOTE: If you intend to study for less than six months, you do not need a CAQ or a study permit.
However, to obtain CAQ for studies, you must:
- Be accepted by a Québec educational institution- Designated Learning Institutes
- Pay the application fees associated with a CAQ application
- Agree to comply with all of the conditions for issuing CAQ for studies.; and
- Meet Financial capacity and required proof Possess sufficient financial resources to cover:
Financial capacity requirements are as follows:
|One person under the age of 18||$6,742|
|One person aged 18 and over||$13,481|
|Two people aged 18 and over||$19,773|
|Two people aged 18 and over and one person under the age of 18||$22,149|
|Two people aged 18 and over and two people under the age of 18||$23,905|
Your Financial Resources must cover:
- Your Programs’ Tuition fees
- Settling-in expenses for the first year
- The Transportation costs (return ticket to your country of origin)
- The Costs of Health and Hospitalization Insurance
- Living expenses for the duration of your stay
3. Study Permit-Quebec Student Visa Requirements
However, upon obtaining a CAQ, you must apply for a study permit from the Government of Canada. Therefore, once you’ve received your study permit, you’re ready to begin studying in Canada.
Study permit requirements
To apply for a study permit, you need to:
- A valid passport or travel document
- An acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- A Certificate of Acceptance in Quebec (CAQ) from the Government of Quebec
- Proof of financial support
The following may also be needed depending on your case:
- letter of explanation
- Custodian declaration (minors only)
More so, you must also:
- be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and pose no threat to Canada’s security A police certificate may be required.
- be in good physical condition You may be required to take a medical exam.
- persuade an immigration officer that you will leave Canada once your studies are completed.
Did this answer your question?
Meanwhile, for more on the Quebec student visa requirements, write to us through the comment section below. More so, don’t forget to share this post with your friends and loved ones on social media.